Postcards of the Past


Magdalen College, Oxford

Magdalen College was founded in 1448 as Magdalen Hall by William of Waynefleet, Bishop of Winchester. It was originally on the High Street but Waynefleet managed to get hold of a large chunk of land just outside the city as it was then, and established Magdalen College and its associated School and Hall. The latter became part of Hertford College whilst the school still flourishes. Because of its location close to the city centre and the River Cherwell, and its spacious grounds, Magdalen is one of the most visited of Oxford's Colleges and is generally considered to be the most beautiful.