Postcards of the Past



KES, the Guild Chapel and the Alms Houses

KES - the abbreviation for King Edward the Sixth Grammar School - is known to have been in existence from 1295 and was re-founded by a Charter of King Edward VI in 1553. It was attended  by  the poet and playwright William Shakespeare in the 1570s, leading to its  being widely known as Shakespeare’s School.