Postcards of the Past

The Destruction by Fire of the

Shakespeare Memorial Theatre

6 March 1926

The Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon caught fire on 6th March 1926. In spite of efforts from fire-brigades from all over the county, the theatre was reduced to a roofless shell, although the picture gallery and library were saved. Most of these postcards of the blaze - which are by no means a rarity - have been in my family for many years. The fire was a major event for Stratford's inhabitants - many will, like me, have heard accounts from relatives and friends.