Wroclaw is the capital of southwestern Poland's province of Lower Silesia. The city is located on the Oder approximately 190 miles southwest of Warsaw and 125 miles east of Dresden in Germany. Wroclaw originated in the 10th century AD at the crossroads of trade routes and was first governed by the Polish Piast kings. In the following centuries it was ruled at various times by the Germans, Bohemians and Prussians. In 1741 Frederick II the Great of Prussia changed its name to Breslau, a name which appears on many of the postcards on this page.